Tuesday, December 25, 2012

If You Think of Yourself as a Bad Person, Remember Jesus Died For ALL Sin, You Are Clean, and You Are a Beautiful Person.

Have you ever struggled with telling yourself that you are a bad person, or telling yourself that you are stupid or worthless? You may have known that you are not worthless, and God created you for who you are, and God has given you the wisdom He desires you to have and the talents He desires you to have. You may know otherwise, but because you have been told that you were worthless, stupid, or bad, etc. You have told yourself these things for many years, and find that when you learn otherwise, that you keep doing it. I still struggle with that. I get very emotional very easy, and cry easily, and every time I get emotional, I tell myself that I am a bad person to try to combat my emotions. I have been made fun of by others, and punished by my grandpa for being sensitive. I have been ashamed of that for many years, and I find myself still calling myself a bad person because of that, even though I know otherwise.

Are you struggling with thinking that you are a bad person, or that you are worthless? Are you struggling with feeling that you deserve to be abused? Are you being tempted to abuse yourself? Is there anything about yourself that makes any of the things above apply to you? What caused you to think that way?

If you are struggling, think of this, consider the following:

1. Every sin you have ever committed has been forgiven by Jesus dying on a cross for you. You are clean and free from all sin, God has created you for who you are, God loves you for who you are, He created you in His image, God made you a new creation when you have accepted Him, and God sees you as being sinless and perfect. All your sins are gone. That makes you a good person, a beautiful person, and a wonderful person, and keep telling yourself that. You are not a bad person. You are not worthless. You are precious, you are wonderful, you are loved, you are beautiful.

2. Jesus died on a cross for all your sins. There is no sacrifice left. He paid it all. Because of this, you do not need to be abused, you do not need to be punished, and you do not need to harm yourself, Jesus paid it all on the cross. Tell yourself that if you are struggling with that temptation. If you had been freed from harming yourself for a long time, you may be tempted from time to time, just like an ex smoker may be tempted even 20 years after he/she quit. Don’t give in to that temptation, it will make further temptations stronger, and it will take a lot more to fight them off.
I will share my example to answer the questions above for myself. I am a very sensitive person. When someone else hurts, I hurt. When I see someone sad, I cry. Every time I cry, I think of myself as a bad person, and I keep telling myself that I am a bad person. When I lived with my grandparents, every time I cried, whether it was that I did not get what I want, or if I saw a sad show, or if I saw someone else who was sad, my grandpa used to take a stick and spank me with it until I could no longer feel that stick hitting me, and he would tell me that real men do not cry. He would also tell me that only babies cried.

I had issues with that ever since then. I am much more sensitive than most people. I just recently saw 2 movies, one involved a girl whose mother died and she would never talk ever since then, and when I saw her in school looking off, and seen the pain inside her, I cried, and I cannot even think about that without crying. Another movie involved chimpanzees being used to simulate flying and being exposed to deadly radiation for test purposes. When I saw one person look at the chimpanzee with sadness in his eyes, and saw the chimpanzee look back at him, I cried. I cannot even think about these movies without crying. I considered myself a bad person because of that and was tempted to harm and punish myself the way my grandpa did, even though I had been freed from that for over 10 years. About 3 weeks ago, I had another situation where I became saddened, and felt the same way about myself and I gave into the temptation to harm myself and punish myself the way my grandpa did, but much worse, I beat my bottom with a stick until it was a large sore, and put baking soda on it, then I said to myself that I deserve to be treated like that. Now the temptation is much stronger, and the way I have shared above is the only way I could fight off that temptation, and my struggles became stronger.
If you find yourself feeling that you are a bad person, or you find yourself being tempted to harm yourself, or if you are struggling with self harm, I want to pray for you. Do not try to hide it, but keep yourself accountable to someone. If you have fallen, remember that God has set you free, and you do not have to keep doing it. Use the points along with reading Hebrews 9-10 as a reference to what I have stated to try to combat that temptation. Self harm is like a drug and causes many adrenalines to flow which makes it even more addicting, and it causes many emotional problems after it is done. Resist temptation, and tell someone when you are tempted so that they can pray for you.

God Bless you,
Rodney Calmes

No comments: