Tuesday, July 9, 2013

There Is No Remission For Sin Without The Shedding Of Blood Heb 9:22

There Is No Remission For Sin Without The Shedding Of Blood Heb. 9:22 There is no remission for sin without the shedding of blood. That is written in Hebrews 9:22. The church has taught that. The church has applied this to child discipline since 300 AD. Kids were being spanked until they bled. Whips were used on children and large sticks and paddles. I, myself have been spanked until blood seeped through my skin. It is senseless to do that. My experience is that I felt only the first few swats then my butt was numbed for the rest. Because of the damage I received, it was not long before spankings like that would no longer sting. To this very day, someone could break a stick by hitting my butt with it and I would only feel a very light tingle. The spankings I got not only traumatized me, but also became very ineffective because I would hardly feel anything because of that damage done from previous spankings. When I started to desire spankings at age 8, then they promoted my bad behavior rather than deter it. What the church has neglected was to read the whole chapter rather than just the verse. Reading the whole chapter makes absolutely no indication about child discipline. This chapter talks about the blood of Jesus Christ that needed to be shed for once and for all for the remission for all sins of all times. It is very clear that there no longer is a sacrifice for sins. Jesus paid it all. There are scriptures that deal with child discipline. Proverbs 13:24 "He who spares his rod hates his son. But he who loves his son disciplines him promptly". When we study the Hebrew in this verse, we see that the rod can have a physical or symbolic definition. The rod is using what is effective on your children.  Some children can be spanked all day and it does nothing for them.  It is not a rigid object like the English word would portray. This shows that using rigid and damaging objects is a bad thing.  Children do not know what God's will is, they have to be taught. Children are learning, this means that we cannot beat them with many stripes. Scripture must be taken in context. Shedding blood on children cannot be justified. Bruising children cannot be justified. Any time you bruise a child or draw blood on them, you have abused them. Causing harm to a child is wrong. What about bare butt spankings? I have not seen any scriptures about making kids pull their pants down or exposing their bare butts to get spanked. There are no scriptures to condone this practice. From my experience with that is that I felt degraded when I got old enough to understand modesty. I felt violated by that. I also felt humiliated. My modesty was not respected. Our goal is to teach and instruct our children and to bring repentance, not to humiliate and degrade our children. Bare butt spankings made me feel like I was less of a person. I was afraid to tell someone that I got bare butt spankings. I felt that people would think less of me because of that. Ephesians 6:4 "do not provoke your children to wrath but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord.". Colossians 3:21 "Fathers, do not provoke your children lest they become discouraged.". Our purpose is to teach and instruct our children, not to take our anger out on them. We are not to pour out our wrath on them, we are to teach them and do only what is necessary to teach them and bring repentance. There is nothing in there about humiliating them or degrading them. There is nothing in there about harming them. We are to discipline them with respect for them and respect for their bodies, not to damage their bodies. Degrading them and humiliating them is not respecting them. Compromising modesty is also degrading and disrespectful. Our children is broken enough when they are reprimanded, so it is very important to reassure our love for them after the discipline. There is nothing wrong with the child. There is something wrong with the sin. God created our children and us very carefully and we were all created in His image. There is nothing wrong with you as a person. There is nothing wrong with the child as a person. There is something wrong with the sin. Never tell a child "what is wrong with you? " instead, tell them "what is wrong with what you did?" By that, you are attacking the sin and not the person. Psalms 139:14 "I will praise You for I am fearfully and wonderfully made". Build your child up but tear down the sin. God made your child a beautiful person and carefully gave your child his/her wisdom and personalities which are to be loved and cherished.

Rodney Calmes

No comments: